Thursday, February 18, 2010

A ramble that made so much more sense in my head. Now it just seems like what everyone else says.

I hate people who make me think. No actually I don't, but still.
Someone said something to me the other day, and I didn't know whether to be offended or not. I chose not, 'coz I don't get offended easily, plus I don't think he would have been trying to offend me anyway. Anyway, we were talking, and I was paying out those books on how to be the perfect woman (basically do everything your husband says, have lots of babies, and learn how to cook and sew). I think they're silly. Anyway, he said something along the lines of'how can you pay that out so much, when you live out that life yourself?'
Apparently all my crazy talk about wanting babies, and the fact that I love to cook and do other 'womanly' tasks, and the fact that I really don't desire a career, makes him think I am the same as this lifestyle I am quite openly disdainful of.
I don't really care about that. But, it did make me think. What is it that I really think is wrong about some conservative Christians' view of femininity? It certainly isn't anything to do with getting married and having babies. I think they are great things to do :)
What I think is wrong, is women not having the choice to decide whether or not they want a career, or a family, or whatever.
What I think is wrong is the girls who think that they are incomplete without a husband and/or children. Yes, I know I joke about artificial insemination, or killing myself if I don't have kids. I just say things sometimes to shock/annoy people. It's what I do. I don't act myself around people, because I subconsciously am always trying to push people away and not let them be friends with me, so I give them the impression I am aggressive and crazy. When really I want them to know the real Rosalie...uh anyway, tangent much?
Yeah, I think it is terribly sad when young girls come up with the idea that they are nothing without a man. Not that this is a problem specific to the church...
I think it is completely stupid when women feel like they can't survive without men. I don't have a guy in my life. Some would have you believe that your father looks after you until your husband can take over. That's ridiculous. I have been living without men for like 2 and a half years. I have 3 amazing jobs, and am able to support myself. I can do pretty much anything I need to do.
I think it is wrong also, to think that a woman can only choose one way. I mean, yeah I want a family more than I want a career. That doesn't mean I won't have a career. I'd much prefer to have a ministry though. :)
I guess what I am trying to say, is that I don't think what these women do in their lives is wrong. I think that their reasons for doing so are.
It's not silly to want lots of kids. It is silly to think that the only purpose in your life is to have kids.
It's not silly to want a guy to protect you and care about you. It is silly to think you can't look after yourself.
It's not silly at all to want to be a stay at home mum. It is silly to think that you have to.
It just so happens that I want what is perceived to be a very conservative life. But I do not see myself as a conservative, down trodden, housewife-wanna-be.
Femininity does mean being nurturing, and all those things. But there is more than one way to do that.

4 comments:

  1. It made sense. Or maybe I know you too well and everything makes sense :-P

    I agree. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting those things, but when they think they have to. Also, when women who do think they have to look down on women who don't think they have to, or choose not to. Lol...did that make sense?

    The word femininity has been bugging me lately, but I'll ignore that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friend has a good point...I've never thought that about you, but now you've mentioned it, it's rather obvious!!

    "Femininity does mean being nurturing, and all those things. But there is more than one way to do that." - precisely! There is nothing wrong with the term, it's misinterpretations of it that cause problems (kinda like anything really!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm interesting thoughts

    (and i cant u beleive u got offend by a toungue in cheek comment!)

    ReplyDelete