Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Duty

Today I was helping in a year 1/2 class. 6 and 7 year olds, such an adorable stage. One of the little girls was quite excited to see that I was wearing the same white and pink dunlop volleys as she was. Then she noticed that she couldn't see my laces. I tuck the bow and the straggly bits under the toe of the shoe, to make it nice and tidy you know. So I showed her what I had done,and thought nothing of it. A minute later, I looked over to see her and her friends doing the same thing to their sneakers.
It highlighted to me the influence you can have on a child. This was something small, just a minor fashion choice. But who is to say that we can't influence children for the better in the important things? Or alternatively, influence them for the worse?
There is a superchic[k] song that I love.
This is the last verse:

No one talks to him about how he lives
He thinks that the choices he makes are just his
Doesn't know he's the leader with the way he behaves
And others will follow the choices he's made
He lives on the edge, he's old enough to decide
His brother who wants to be him is just nine
He can do what he wants because it's his right
The choices he makes change a nine-year-old's life


I think this is so true. Anyone who is an older sibling, or has led a youth group, or whatever, will have seen children imitate what they do. From the simple act of tying their shoelaces differently, to manner of speech, to the really huge things, kids will imitate us.
I know a lot of people are aware of this, and will avoid, say, smoking in front of kids, because they don't want them to pick up that habit. But I would argue that their are many harmful behaviours that we as adults participate in, right in front of the children we try so hard to protect.
For example, look at how you talk about yourself in front of children. How often do you put yourself down, or tell the child that you are terrible at something. I notice this particularly with drawing, and with sport. Comments along the lines of 'Now I'm a terrible drawer, but you guys are all so much better' are condescending to the child. Just because they are five, doesn't mean they can't tell that an adult's stick figure is still better than theirs. To hear the adult say that they are terrible, automatically tells the child that they are even worse.
And then we turn around, and try to tell the child that they are special, and should use positive self talk.
I'm not saying we should lie, or act like we are always happy around children. But surely we can all try and practice what we preach.

1 comment: