Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A New Hobby

A happy blog today :)
So, I've discovered a new hobby. Actually I really discovered it years ago I suppose, But it wasn't until today that I realised how much I really like it.
What is it? Dressmaking.
I know that is a weird interest for a 20 year old. But it suits me perfectly. My perfectionistic side can be fulfilled, as I press seams, measure, unpick and resew and everything else. But unlike other things which allow me to fuss, this gives me a chance to be creative.
I'm not good at creative stuff. I can't paint or draw, I can't even arrange my farmville to look nice :P My scrap-booking attempts haven't improved since I was 10. But sewing gives me a chance to design things that actually end up looking pretty good.
Making clothes also means that I have a hobby I do not need to feel guilty about. I obviously need to wear clothes, and making a dress from an old valance saves me money!
When I fix my camera, I will put some photos on here of my dress I made today :) It is orange and pink and brown and blue and green and yellow and has flowers all over it. It is happy and hippy.
And it is long down to the floor, and has cute little sleeves that I am very proud of. :D
I bought a dress today as well, from the op shop. It's also long down to the floor, and is blue and white, and has lace. It is Laura Ashley, which is apparently a really expensive brand, and the dress was $2.50. Then again, we think the dress is probably from the 70s. It is made of beautiful quality cotton, and is cut so gorgeously.
I am going to start wearing more of the clothes I like, and less of the clothes that blend in. Because I really don't care what people think, and I want to be happy with what I wear :)
So here's to long, old-fashioned dresses. :D

5 comments:

  1. Sounds good :)
    I have only just begun to like the long dresses, I want to find one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe! Larissa, You guys dont have old navy do you? they have adorable long dresses!! :)

    Rosalie, I dont sew much. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE coming up with ideas and patterns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. maxi dresses are great, but sometimes the top is a bit too low for me, or just doesn't look good coz my boobs are too small. sometimes i wear a tee shirt over my maxi dress lol.

    ReplyDelete